Sunday, November 23, 2014

ED 7720 - Elements and Challenges in the Hub

I have spent quite a bit of time this week pondering the details of my learning hub.
Of course, I want it to be perfect.

- There must be an element of fun. Technology is fun! 
- There must be an overall professional feel to it, or it won't be taken seriously.
- There must be relevant graphics! 
- The links must work.
- I must retain some semblance of privacy. I do not want my address and phone number in the Cloud. I settled on my email address. Even in Google+, I didn't provide enough information for a casual stalker, unless that person has access to the local white pages.
- Upbeat! Some of this new learning is downright maddening. I still don't have the definition of "semiotic" memorized... but I understand TPACK and the new literacies.

Working in Google Sites is challenging. I tried WIX in the summer and I was not thrilled with the templates. I may switch, as so many in the first cohort had beautiful end products, but I need to understand Sites as our school system is starting to lean toward Google Classroom and all of its apps. This week, a friend will work with me on "Forms." She's the expert. I helped here with her Classroom.

It took me a very long time to embed my blog on the Hub. I used Help often. I have been working on my Hub on and off since September, but with a deadline, I forced myself to learn to embed this past week. I tried to skim and "shortcut" the directions, but I had to actually slow down and toggle between screens. I have three computers. Each one is great for something. Sites works best on my laptop (and my school computer, not among the three.) The iPad is useless, and Chromebook is.... Chromebook.

I also had a rough time placing "Jing" photo clips of my lessons on a page. I listed and described FOUR lessons, and when I went back ten minutes later, there were two. I had trouble saving, so I had to redo the page. Once I got the system, I was able to link the photo to a website. I held my breath when I hit save... and it worked!

The Governor cut $1.5 million from the CTHSS budget. The last time there were cuts, I got a pink slip. I need to have this site ready, just in case.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment