Sunday, August 3, 2014

ED 7714 Curation


I cannot imagine being tethered to any device so much that I notice a world event before it hits the news. When Robert Scoble mentioned the earthquake in China in his YouTube video, sitting there with his headphones on and all of his electronic gadgets surrounding him, my first thought was, "Get a life."

The other video, Innovate: Curation with Steve Rosenbaum made curation sound more manageable. I understand the theory. There is too much information to filter through alone, so we need each other as human "thoughtful filters" to get the most out of the internet.

I needed to find additional articles to read about content curation online because, although I understood the basic concept on the YouTube video, I wasn't quite sure how and where to collect the information. A blog post by Aletha Tavares in "The Tacit Thinker" called "Content Curation: the Internet Curators" clearly explains who curates, where they curate, and why.
- Anyone can curate
- Curation is built around a topic of interest to the curator
- The curator builds a "brand" of curation, with their own spin

Jim Berkowitz, a marketer, posted an article about ten content curation apps that are worth considering. Both he and Ms. Tavares mentioned Pearltrees. I have a Pintrest account that I found to be frustrating, so I explored the features of Pearltrees and I like it. I loaded the app on my iPad.





Additional References:
Berkowitz, Jim. "Apps that will make you a content curator extraordinaire." Social Media Explorer. 4/25/13
http://www.socialmediaexplorer.com/content-marketing-2/apps-thatll-make-you-a-content-curator-extraordinaire/

Tavares, Aletha. "Content Curation, the Internet Curators." The Tacit Thinker. 11/5/11. http://www.tacitthinker.com/2011/11/05/content-curation-internet-curators/


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your "get a life" comment. What value is there as people (like me) curate and share, curate and share...in this recommendation cycle?

    ReplyDelete