Thursday, October 9, 2014

ORMS MOOC playlist reflection





Working with other members of the MOOC, continue to develop a playlist that tells a story about the journey in the MOOC so far. How did you feel when you started? How do you feel about Multimedia Tutorials? What do you think about Online Collaborative Inquiry? Where do you think this journey is going? 

 I found the directions for the second post on Monday and immediately started to procrastinate. I had never heard of 8tracks.com. It was a new skill and I had to decide when to find time to learn it. I started thinking about songs, though, and Manic Monday popped into my head immediately. OK. Manic Monday LIVES in my head along with the NPR theme song.

I live a rather busy life. I manage time quite well, and still find time to procrastinate. I usually get my ITDML work done by mid-day on Saturday so I have some semblance of a weekend when school and grad school can leave my brain. Monday morning is the start of a new work week and the start of new learning for class. Things get a little manic as I spin from one activity/opportunity to another all week.

I participated in this MOOC last year. This year, it was fun working with members of the new cohort on the teaching team in the first module. I used the tutorial that I created with some of the freshmen in my building. The students who made the choice to focus learned more than those who did not. Instructing the students to look for specific cues helped students focus better.

I wanted my second song to have an air of confidence. Fanfare for the Common man, to me, is perfect. (Read this paragraph slowly as you listen to the music...) The IT&DML cohorts are made up of common people with diverse technology backgrounds. We came here as individuals, and by working collaboratively together, we are changing. We learn daily from one another. We harmonize, borrow ideas, and help each other out. We are building our knowledge and growing as individuals and as a team. It's exciting.

If you are like me, you gain confidence as the weeks pass. Watching the first cohort present their portfolio helped me to see more clearly where I can go with my new learning. I am getting excited for the grand finale at the end of this coming summer.


 Photo credit: Andre Lira, Brasil.  http://pixabay.com/en/users/andrelyra/

(There was no decent "Fanfare for the Common Man" Creative Commons image.)


No comments:

Post a Comment