Sunday, July 26, 2015

COMM 7728 Mash Up project

We had to make a "Schoolhouse Rock" kind of Mash Up with a group.
I was away when groups were being formed, so I tackled the project solo.

I outlined my ideas and jotted down notes for layout.
After checking for a credible source for "When to Cite," and finding Princeton University's Academy Integrity pages, I made a basic script. The working printed script had many notations.

After watching an Audacity tutorial, I jumped in and recorded my script. I edited it down to just over a minute, adding in sounds. I'm not sure if I did it TECHNICALLY correctly, but I made it work.

Next, I marked off the times in seconds on my script:
When the slides change and when the graphics should appear.

I loaded the Audacity MP3 file (after much swearing and gnashing of teeth, mind you!) onto the Raw Shorts app and discovered, as I added slides, it would use up more and more of the recording. Good sign!

Sadly, I needed the audio to be under 1 minute, so I cut out some chatter at the end. I had read (when I was working with Powtoon in the spring) that it is best to lay down the video first. I just had to lay the slides by length (in seconds) over audio, then lay my animations on top.
Finally, I added a free music track from the Raw Shorts files.

The last slide was a struggle. For some reason, I couldn't add all the data I had hoped and used a more basic citation (though not incorrect!) than I had intented. That last frustrating part took about 1.5 hours. Grrrr!

Here is my final project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGrATMxC49Y

OK... I realized I said this is my CITATION, and it is really a "work cited," so I changed the words. I'm getting pretty good at audacity! (and Raw Shorts...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_EENbdGDJM

Below is the original script:

When to cite sources…
You’ll discover that different academic disciplines have different rules and protocols concerning when and how to cite sources, a practice known as “citation.” The five basic principles described below apply to all disciplines and should guide your own citation practice.


(record scratch) WAIT


You need to give credit where credit is due.
Don’t steal steal other people’s ideas and pretend they’re your own.


When you’re writing a paper, remember:


Use a quote word-for-word?  CITE IT!


Paraphrase or change a few words around? CITE IT!


Make a summary of someone else’s ideas? CITE IT!


Facts data, or information you find exclusively in one source? CITE IT!


Copy and paste from the internet to your document… (Scratch) REALLY??? DON’T EVEN GO THERE!


Common knowledge - information everyone knows? You don’t need to cite this information.
But if you’re not sure?  When in doubt, CITE IT.


I got this information from Princeton University’s Academic Integrity pages.
I paraphrased.
Here is my citation in MLA format:


"When to Cite Sources - Academic Integrity at Princeton University." Princeton University. Trustees of Princeton

University, 01 Aug. 2012. Web. 26 July 2015. <http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pub/integrity/pages/cite/>.



Green checkmark is Creative Commons: ClkerFreeVectorImages


No comments:

Post a Comment