Saturday, May 30, 2015

EDUC 7726: Week 8 - Formative Assessment

According to Black and Wiliam, good formative assessment practices can increase student learning dramatically. Formative assessment helps "low-attainers" more than high-achievers.
We are focused on differentiated instruction. Why not formative assessment?
Our National focus is on competitive summative testing. We have been "teaching to the test" for years.

* This is a slide from my presentation. Formative assessment is NOT all technology based!

At Abbott Tech, we have been talking about formative assessments in relation to SLO's. Teachers need data, and formative assessment is a good way to collect that data. Formative assessments include pre-tests, exit tickets, and check-ins midway through a lesson also provide valuable data. Until I looked in depth into formative assessment, I was insecure about how to get this data. Technology can make it quick and game-like.

Next year, our freshmen will be getting Chromebooks. In addition to cataloging and distributing devices, and overseeing equipment maintenance, I am hoping to provide some solid instruction on using the Inernet for research. Recently, I attended a keynote address by Erik Palmer. He wrote a concise 50 page book called "Researching in a Digital World." Although I use the information myself, I have struggled to embed these skills into classroom teachers' lessons. The author had some wonderful ideas around which I was able to create formative assessments.
I chose to focus on three different ways to use Polleverywhere as a formative assessment tool.

SCREENCAST OF POLL EVERYWHERE ASSESSMENTS

When working on this project, I realized that, when I taught with Internet research skills this past year, I did not have crystal clear goals for student learning. Of course they struggled. I used formative assessments, but they were cumbersome and were not "in the moment." Because I see the students sporadically, I need to tive instant assessment. These tech based quick assessments will be more valuable for me as teacher and students as learners.

Resources:
Black, P. and Wiliam, D. (2001) Inside the Box: Raising Standards with Classroom Assessment. BERA.
Greenstein, L. Formative Assessment powerpoint.
Palmer, E. (2015) Researching in a Digital World. ASCD.


No comments:

Post a Comment